St. Peter’s Church

The Church of St. Peter is the cathedral of the Diocese of Frascati and at the end of the 16th century replaced the old S. Maria in Vivario (Church of St. Mary in Vivario) that could no longer hold the ever-increasing population.

The relics of Charles Edward Stuart have been conserved in the church after his death in 1788.

It was commissioned by Clement VIII Aldobrandini who entrusted the project to the architect Ottaviano Nonni, otherwise known as the Mascherino, who favoured the Greek cross floor plan divided into three naves with eight altars. The faรงade in perfect Baroque style, designed by Girolamo Fontana, was built in sperone stone (similar to limestone but darker) and travertine with two orders, one above the other, separated by a cornice; the central portal shows a beautiful high-relief by Bernardino Cametti, representing Jesus reproaching San Pietro.

Inside it is possible to admire a wooden cross from the 11th – 12th century; a bronze cross containing another wooden cross donated by pope Pius IV to Cardinal-Bishop Henry Stuart, Duke of York; decorations by Annibale Angelini in the first chapel along the left side aisle; and a marble sculpture in high-relief of Christ handing the Keys to Saint Peter by Pompeo Ferrucci behind the bishop’s cathedral.