Standing out in the distance is the unmistakeable shape of the “dindarolo“(common name of the water cistern in a shape of a “moneybox” that dominates the historical centre). Colonna is situated on the northern slopes of the Albano Hills between the motorway and Via Casilina, which marks the boundary between the Castelli Romani and the Valle Latina.
The family is named after the town, not the other way round. In 1101, Pietro dei Conti di Tuscolo inherited the territory of Colonna acquiring the name of Petrus de Columna. The origins of the town are ancient as remains dating back to the Bronze Age indicate. The first housing cluster was established during the Roman period, in Labici Quintanense, …