It reached its present aspect in 1687 thanks to the relevant contribution from the municipal administration of Albano.
The Catacombe di San Senatore (Catacombs of St. Senator) can be seen below the adjoining Convento dei Carmelitani.
The high altar is decorated in polychrome marble, in perfect baroque style, and is dominated by a tympanum containing a painting of the Madonna con Bambino surrounded by angels. The Virgin’s robe is adorned with a star; this is what gave the church its particular name.
Standing out on the back wall is the splendid coat-of-arms of the Savelli family, who were seigneur of Albano for several centuries.