Work on the hermitage of San Romualdo started in 1607 by Father Alessandro Secchi on the land granted by Pope Paul V, in order to give the Camaldolese monks a seat near Rome. In fact, the Order was originally spread out between Emilia Romagna and Tuscany. The religious building was designed by Tarquini, completed in 1611, and subsequently consecrated in 1680.
In 1772 the church was rebuilt; today it has a nave and four side chapels, two on each side; on the high altar is an illustration of La Visione di S. Bartolomeo (Vision of St. Bartholomew) by Antiveduto Gramatica in 1620, and in the first chapel on the left is the Riposo nella Fuga in Egitto (Rest during the Flee to Egypt) by Carlo Saraceni in 1606. Inside you can also admire S. Ippolito Carceriere Convertito da S. Lorenzo (St. Hippolytus Centurion converted by St. Lawrence) by Antonio Gherardi in 1670, and the stucco decorations by Tommaso Righi.
The church is flanked by an infirmary, a refectory and guest quarters. On the top floor there are the cells occupied by the monks.