The central nucleus of the building was built between 1604 and 1605; in 1614 the residence was handed over to Cardinal Scipione Borghese who was already owner of the confining Villa Mondragone and Villa Vecchia.
The construction work to complete the ambitious project of joining the properties of the family was assigned to Girolamo Rainaldi. At that time, two side wings were attached to the central body and a nymphaeum, a secret garden and the portal of herald symbols, which was the only entrance to the property, were created.
Further restructuring work was carried out under Camillo Borghese in 1729 and throughout the century the villa was enriched with paintings and frescoes. For many years, it was also residence of Paolina Borghese, wife of Prince Camillo Filippo Ludovico Borghese.
In 1896, Villa Taverna-Borghese was purchased by Saverio Parisi and is still property of the family today.
Inside, on the walls of the large central hall, there are decorations carried out between 1735 and 1736 by the Valeriani brothers, in the Gallerie delle Statue (Statue Gallery) landscape paintings by Monsù Ignazio Heldman, so called Bavarese; and in the Stanza delle Colonne the frescos are by Taddeo Kuntz.