Deconsecrated Church San Nicola di Bari

The Deconsecrated Church, desired by Alessandro VII Chigi, was built by Gian Lorenzo Bernini and his brother Luigi upon the remains of the old Collegiate Church of Santa Maria Assunta.

It is situated in the old centre, adjacent to the huge ex-College of San Nicola, premises once belonging to the local Congregation of the Christian Doctrine Fathers, and now occupied by the Town Hall.
It has a square floor plan with two side chapels covered by a square dome.
The outside has a modest aspect and the pediment shows no decorations. Its present appearance is due to the transformation carried out in the 19th century by the Christian Doctrine Fathers.
In 2008, the opening celebration of a 100-seated theatre was held here as part of the theatrical hub planned for the town. The church is open to the public. Next to the church, you can see (but not visit) the neoclassic building of Palazzo Primoli only a few steps away from a belvedere facing towards Rome. During its most successful period, the Palace – first belonged to Napoleon’s brother Carlo Luciano Bonaparte, Prince of Canino (1820), and then to Conte Primoli – had many important guests such as Marcel Prevòst, Gabriele D’Annunzio, Eleonora Duse, Matilde Serao and Aristide Sartorio.