Palace of the Town Hall

This simple elegant Palazzo Comunale is built over ancient Roman ruins. The construction work was entrusted to Giacomo Della Porta in 1575 and completed in 1590.

Further reconstruction work continued up to 1720, the latest by Filippo Barigioni. Due to the instability of the building, it was in need of continual restoration work to guarantee its safety. The Palace was greatly damaged by Second World War bombings and was rebuilt according to the original design.

Today, as well as the Town Hall, the Civic Museums are located in the palace and open to the public.