Church of San Nicola di Bari

It was built in baroque style starting in 1753 by the will of Prince Nicola Pallavincini on the project of architect R. Carlandi. Prince Pallavicini died just after work had started and this slowed the building progress inasmuch as his successor, Cardinal Giovanni Battista Rospiglioni was reluctant to the construction of the church and refused enough funds to complete it. It was Cardinal Enrico Benedetto Stuart, Duke of York, who persuaded the Congregation Council to restart work, to which he too contributed.

Princess Maria EleonoraCaffarelli welcomed the request of the Duke of York and obtained permission from Pope Clement XVI to use the funds set up by Duchess Maria Camilla to complete the church.

Following its consecration, the Pallavicini family claimed rights on the property (thejus patronatus) to the Bishop of Frascatifor having contributed to the expense of the building. The long debate ended in the assignment of the property to the Bishop of Frascati.

During the Second World War the citizens of Colonna made a vow to the Blessed Virgin asking for protection from the bombings and promised in return to renovate the church. Since only one bomb had fallen on the town, causing only one victim by the end of the conflicts, the promised was kept and the citizens began the renovation work, and the frescoes were carried out by painter DuilioCambellotti.

The artist is known for the lunette with the polychrome cross, the Annunciation scene in the central conch, decorations of crosses formed by vineson the sides and fortwo paintings, one of San Nicola Protettore di Colonna (Patron Saint of Colonna) and the other la TempestaSedata da San Nicola di Bari(The Storm calmed by St. Nicholas of Bari), representing the Saint's miracle.

Inside you can admire important paintings like the one in the apse by Carlo Ciappini of 1759, which represents the Virgin with Child supported by angels;on her rightSan Nicolain pontifical clothes pointing to her; on her left San FilippoBenizi embracing the cross.

On the left of the high altar is a wooden statue of Saint Nicholas, Bishop of Myra, with a miter and crosierand with three childrenmiraculously blessedat his feet. The first right side chapels is dedicated to the Immaculate Conception and the second right hand chapel to the Santissimo Salvatore, paintings by the famousMaratta.

We can also see the Holy water font on the left side of the entrance, made from a shell-shaped basin from the old church. The rose window at the entrance has been added recently.

The Church is open to the public and open from 7.30 to 12.30 and from 15.00 to 19.00; can be inserted into a tour of the town and for this you should call Municipality

Telephone:06 947310