To visit in Castel Gandolfo


Papal Palace

Erected in 1624 by the will of Pope Urban VII Barberini and designed by Carlo Maderno, the Palazzo Pontificio (Papal Palace) was built on the site of the Savelli Castle; in the final stages of the building Gian Lorenzo Bernini collaborated with the implementation of a wing and built a gate in the gardens, which is no longer visible today.

Read more

The Church of San Tommaso da Villanova

The Collegiata Parrocchiale Pontificia (Collegiate Church of St. Thomas of Villanova) that stands in the town's main square was built as of 1658 and commissioned by Pope Alexander VII Chigi:

Read more

The ruins of Domitian's Villa

The Pontifical Villa - which belonged to the Barberini family and then to the Holy See after the Lateran Treaty in 1929 - extends over a park of 55 hectares and includes part of the structure of Domitian's Villa (81-96 AD).

Read more
Doric Nymphaeum

Doric Nymphaeum

It is the first archaeological site you meet going down from the centre of Castel Gandolfo towards the Lake, along Via Gramsci.

Read more
Bergantino Nymphaeum

Bergantino Nymphaeum

Better known as Diana's Baths, it is located on the west side of Lake Albano halfway between the Doric nymphaeum and the Emissary. Like the Doric Nymphaeum, it faces Monte Cavo (ancient mons Albanus).

Read more

Emissary of Lake Albano

The Emissario del Lago Albano is an artificial channel approximately 1800 metres long which starts at the west side of the lake and ends in the area of Mole di Castel Gandolfo

Read more